• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Orange Juice Addiction

bronson

Bluelighter
Lately I've been craving an unusually large amount of orange juice. I suppose there is no real harm to it and that it's good for the immune system at least. I've been drinking at least a quarter of a gallon per day which seems like a lot.

Any one have any clue why I might be wanting so much orange juice, I'm assuming a vitamin c deficiency, but am not sure what could be causing that.

Probably the large amount of sugar in it. OJ is a tricky little bastard, on nutritional par with pop mixed with vitamins :\

Drinking a litre a day? There are worse things you can put into your body, but that's a lot.. likely going to fatigue you over time. Eat oranges!

I'm not too sure as I usually don't even like things which have lots of sugar, but maybe it's different with natural sugar? At any rate, yes, I would say about a liter a day sounds accurate as of late. No need to read into it too much though if I'm feeling alright I suppose.

for some reason the only time i drink OJ and lots of it is when i go snowboarding for the weekend
isnt that odd

Yeah the tons of sugar is definitely not healthy, natural or not.

You're making Wilford Brimley's diabeetus cry =(

"it's lupus" lol wtf?

If you want the citrusy orgasm without the sugar overload, try making lime juice. Squeeze one whole lime into a cup, fill it with wa wa, and add just a teensy bit of agave syrup or maple syrup. Mmmm-mmmmm. Add some cayenne for an extra kick. I dunno, it's just good for you.

wa wa

Keep in mind that fresh is usually better for you and better tasting than bottled/cartoned. Consider going crazy.

That is waaay too much sugar. Buy some oranges instead. Self-control with food begins at the grocery store.

What is the difference between oranges, and orange juice with no added sugar?? On a side note, I am addicted to Apple Juice.

Well for one, packaged orange juice usually has added preservatives to keep the juice fresh... You'll probably see on the list of ingredients a preservative with a strange number... who-knows what that could be...

ANY freshly squeezed or cold-pressed juice is the BEST (aside from eating the fruit in its original state) as you retain the most vitamins... cold-pressed usually also ensures that you get all the fibre from the fruit (or veg) as well, which is usually just about all lost in packaged juice.

eg: with apple juice - freshly squeezed or cold-pressed apple juice should look thick and cloudy and will end up separating into two layers; a clear juice below a thick frothy layer (where all the fibre is)... The packaged kind is usually a clear golden colour... meaning all the fibre has been removed...

That is waaay too much sugar. Buy some oranges instead. Self-control with food begins at the grocery store.

So much sugar never tasted so good though! Apparently I have like zero self-control with it comes to orange juice. 8)

What is the difference between oranges, and orange juice with no added sugar?? On a side note, I am addicted to Apple Juice.

The big difference is that orange juice is concentrated. A single orange has about 2oz of juice in it. Even if you're only drinking a small, 1 cup (not one glass mind you, 1 cup) serving, thats still like eating 4 oranges at once. Its just a ton of sugar.

That seems like a bit much, but I don't see any harm other than too much sugar, but I guess thats the good kind of sugar though right, nonetheless its sugar. I would probably drink that much too if it was always in my fridge, especially as a smoker. Smoking depletes vitamin C.

Buy a few pounds of oranges and munch on them. See if that helps. If you really can't help it, go for fresh or pure orange juice, and try to get lots of water to boot.

You might just be needing vitamin C or salts. Curiously, this happened with lime juice to my boyfriend after he quit smoking. Unfortunately, our limes are very sour and his lip cracked badly after a few weeks.

I recently had a similar thing with lemon water. Have had carvings for making my water super sour. I use several lemons a day. Dunno why. It's got no sugar at least, maybe try exchanging some orange juice for lemon water if u worry about the sugar content. It is kinda like drinking several cans of pop a day.

I recently had a similar thing with lemon water. Have had carvings for making my water super sour. I use several lemons a day. Dunno why. It's got no sugar at least, maybe try exchanging some orange juice for lemon water if u worry about the sugar content. It is kinda like drinking several cans of pop a day.

Thanks for the idea, as I think it's mostly the citrus I'm craving and not so much the sugar. I'll have to give this a try.